Friday, October 21, 2011

What is a Modern Classic? Part 1: Defining the term

Recently I had a book club meeting for The Book Thief by Markus Zuzak. During our discussion the moderator called The Book Thief a modern classic. I argued that I did not think it was and then questioned; what is a modern classic and what books do I think can be classified as such. So this is part 1 of a few where I will discuss what a modern classic is and what I think could actually be considered one. First however it is important to define the words "modern" and "classic".

Modern: of, relating to, or characteristics of the present or immediate past. That is the definition of modern according to merrian-webster.com. Classic: Serving as a standard of exelence: of recognized value. Again from merrian-webster.com. So those are the definitions according to the dictionary. Do they apply in this context? Together with this definitions the term Modern Classic means this: A piece of recognized value of excellence from present time. Personally I think that by that term any book that is critically acclaimed is a modern classic. The Hunger Games is critically acclaimed but is it a modern classic?

Now I am going to define "modern" and "classic" in my own terms. I think the combination of these four definitions might actually give us an idea of the term. I will start with classic. When I think classic I think older. I think Mark Twain and Shakespeare. I think Jane Austen and Poe. So if I was asked to define classic I would say a substantial piece that has timeless themes that make it survive the test of time. Now for modern. When I think modern I think new. I think Rowling and Stephen King. I think Dan Brown and Rick Riordan. So if you asked me to define modern I would say something similar to the dictionary definition, something of recent time.

Now can we define modern classic? Well use my definitions and you sort of get an oxymoron. However take out the idea of it having to stand the test of time and I think I have it. Modern Classic: a piece that has come out in recent times that has themes that are timeless and will stand the test of time. So let me explain that, a piece that has come out in recent times, here is where we hit road block number 1. What is recent times? For the sake of this we are doing from 1970 to Present. Why 1970? This gives us the last 4 decades to work off of. Anymore and it is half a decade, at this point it has survived the test of time in my opinion. Now road block number 2; what themes are timeless? This is more up for debate and many different things can be used for this.

Finally I want to show the differences between "modern classic" and "destined to become a classic". The determination is simple the first has timeless themes and can be considered classics without a doubt when they reach the age. The second however is a bit more complex. These books have themes that may be considered timeless but need to stand the test of time to completely determine this.

Over the next few weeks I hope to post about books that I consider to be modern classics as well as books that others have said our such. Keep an eye out for that and keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment